Saturday 15 January 2011

Diplomacy in Theory and Praxis


My understanding of diplomacy today: How have your opinions about the role of diplomacy in world politics changed since the start of the module? Looking back on the ‘first impressions’ you wrote in the first lecture, how has your knowledge of this subject developed?

When I wrote my “first impressions” of the module The New Diplomacy in early October of 2010, it was with certain modesty as my knowledge of the subject was rather limited. However, I expressed a desire to obtain an understanding and appreciation of the work which diplomats and embassies perform. Furthermore, I recognised that diplomacy has changed throughout the years, even though I did not realise to which extent.
Three months have gone by and as the module is coming to its end, I have obtained a broad knowledge of a whole variety of different aspects which diplomacy holds.
With the lectures and seminars, I recognised the differences between “old”, being secret, exclusive and revolving around high politics, and “new” diplomacy, being open, inclusive and embracing low politics. Furthermore, I was surprised, yet happy, to learn that the term “diplomat” arguably now can be applied to non-state actors, including non-governmental organisations, religious actors and individuals. I do indeed believe that these actors may be instrumental to international negotiations as they arguably have the capability of reaching audiences which states and state leaders are not.
The module opened my mind and allowed me to watch the news on television and read beyond the mere words and actions displayed. In this way, it was striking to witness the extent to which public diplomacy, branding one’s nation through presenting a certain image, is prominent and indeed practiced without the audience necessarily realising, as was arguably the case with the Chilean miners. In this way, I have also been made aware of the thin line which separates public diplomacy and propaganda.
Beside the theory, we had the opportunity to experience diplomacy implemented in praxis, as we visited two embassies in the course of the semester, effectively highlighting the differences and commonalities between “old” and “new” diplomacy. I found the visits to be very interesting and informative as the ambassadors explained their personal experiences with both bilateralism and multilateralism, setting forth the issues which come with the new diplomacy in terms of it being difficult to reach agreements when a large number of states are gathered.
At the end of the module, I have indeed obtained the understanding and great appreciation of diplomats, governmental as well as non-governmental, which I wished for.

No comments:

Post a Comment